This article is all about how Homeopathy can support women’s health in acute situations. It’s important to remember that homeopathy is individualised and to seek professional advice from your local fully qualified Homeopath to ensure the right treatment plan is selected for you or if you are in need of a constitutional approach. It is no coincidence that it is often women who introduce their families and friends to homeopathic remedies, mums who have done their homework about natural approaches for their kids, spouses who urge their partners to seek out an alternative to pharmaceuticals for their health complaints, or women who come to homeopathy for menstrual, pregnancy, or perimenopausal or menopausal problems. There are lots of reasons why homeopathy is a highly compatible approach for women:
- Homeopathy is gentle, safe, and natural: What a relief to find an effective type of support that is completely safe for pregnant moms, newborns, the elderly, and our beloved pets. We feel so fortunate to work with such a safe type of approach.
- Homeopathy works well and quickly: As a woman, a mum, a partner and want fast results that you can count on. You can count on the right homeopathic remedy relieving your pain from an acute bladder infection within fifteen minutes as long as the right remedy is selected based on your symptom picture. Your menstrual pain improves within an hour, your morning sickness improving significantly within days to a week and remaining better, and acute sore throats noticeably better within an hour. Even with chronic conditions such as depression, vaginal infections, and PMS, you should notice a clear improvement within weeks to a month. However, with chronic conditions, please consult your local fully qualified Homeopath.
- Homeopaths spend more time with patients: Homeopaths typically spend up to 90 minutes during the initial appointment and half an hour during follow ups. The more we know about our clients, the better. Even after spending two and a half hours with a woman the first time we may want additional time to address particular issues or ask for reports in between appointments.
- Each woman is unique: There are over 2000 homeopathic remedies available and more being proven and introduced into the homeopathic literature as we speak. A homeopath wants to get to know you in depth… all of your physical, mental, and emotional symptoms in detail, what you think, worry, and dream about, your relationships and childhood and their impact on you, and what we call your “state” which ties together all of these into one package. Your state is the sensation that unites your body and psyche, your past and present…. all of you.
- Homeopathy treats the whole woman: A homeopath doesn’t look at your ovaries or your breasts as separate from the rest of you. You are an integrated whole. Your PMS, postpartum depression, or mood swings are not separate from your painful periods, acute or chronic bladder infections, or uterine fibroids. You are a complete totality and that is what a homeopath investigates and treats. And, more startling, one single, well-chosen homeopathic remedy for support.
- Homeopathy works on a deep, not a superficial level: We don’t believe that the cause of a woman’s problems is due, bottom line, to an infection, growth, hormone, or neurotransmitter, but rather to a fundamental imbalance of the vital force, the underlying energy system of the individual. Simply put, if you are in balance, you will remain as healthy as your body can possibly keep you. If you are out of balance, you will develop problems, depending on your particular susceptibility. This vulnerability may be influenced by genetics, lifestyle or life events, or a number of other factors.
- Homeopathy is an art, not just a science: Interviewing a woman in depth, perceiving you as a unique individual, analyzing your case, selecting the correct remedy, and following your case over time is not just a left-brained, analytical process. Of course, it is essential for a homeopath to be familiar with a vast amount of data concerning material medica (the homeopathic remedies), but the process of relating to a patient is also quite intuitive. The initial interview may touch you on a level far deeper than your intellect and you are likely to feel profoundly understood.
An Effective Answer for Acute Women’s Problems
There are several different types of conditions that homeopathy can support very effectively: first-aid, acute, and chronic. First aid includes falls, sprains and strains, insect bites, lacerations, fractures, burns, sunstroke, and other injuries or conditions in need of immediate attention. You will find homeopathy to work within minutes, along with traditional emergency interventions.
Acute women’s conditions such bladder and vaginal infections, morning sickness, motion sickness, mastitis, breastfeeding problems, and hemorrhoids of pregnancy can all be considered acute problems and can often be self-treated with homeopathy very effectively. PMS can sometimes be self-treated acutely but may need constitutional homeopathic care from a professional as can hot flashes and menstrual pain, Symptoms and complications of labor and delivery can often be managed quite successfully with homeopathy as can stalled labor, and other physical and emotional symptoms during labor,
Bladder Infections (Cystitis)
The following four remedies are very often lifesavers for cystitis. You can expect the bladder symptoms to get significantly better within fifteen to thirty minutes after the right remedy is selected.
Apis Metallica (honeybee):
- Think bee sting- hot, red, burning, swollen. If your bladder or urethra feel swollen and if your urine is hot, scalding, and burning, you can thank that single bee that sacrificed itself for the countless doses of Apis worldwide that have come from that original tincture. It is not surprising that if you need Apis, your pain and swelling will be much relieved by cold applications in the local area, such as the urethra.’
Cantharis (Spanish fly):
- The best-known remedy for severe cystitis. Pain can be severe, intense, and of rapid onset to the point of being excruciating. Urinating can be unbearable because of cutting, burning, unrelenting pain. Your urine, like with Apis, can be scalding, but may also be bloody. If you need Cantharis, you probably feel restless, agitated, and compelled to squirm or pace.
Sarsaparilla (wild licorice):
- The remedy we most often use in our practice for women with acute cystitis. The main symptom, very specifically, is pain in the urethra at the end of urinating. We have used this medicine successfully many times, even in the absence of any other symptoms.
- A very effective treatment for what is commonly called “honeymoon cystitis” meaning a lot of sexual activity over a short period of time. The other strong indicator that you may need Staphysagria is if your bladder infection comes on right after an experience causing humiliation, indignation, or suppressed anger. Your bladder symptoms may vary with this remedy but these causative factors are enough to choose it.
There is nothing that can more quickly dampen the joy of prospective motherhood than the misery of morning sickness! The nausea, without or without vomiting, can last weeks or throughout the entire pregnancy. The most dangerous complication of morning sickness is hyperemesis gravidarum, nonstop vomiting leading often to hospitalization. These are the five homeopathic remedies that we use most frequently.
Colchicum (meadow saffron):
- Is an excellent remedy for women who become nauseated at the sight, smell, or even thought of food. If that is the case with you and you are particularly repulsed by thinking or smelling about eggs or cooked fish or meat, Colchicum may be your ticket to a happier pregnancy. If you need this medicine, you may also be extremely sensitive to being treated rudely.
Ipecac (ipecac root):
- Well-known as an over-the-counter syrup to induce vomiting after ingestion of poisons, is used homeopathically to treat vomiting. The nausea with this remedy can be unrelenting, and can often be accompanied by vomiting. The odd indication confirming that you may need Ipecac is that, despite vomiting, your tongue will be clear. We tend to use this medicine when vomiting is the primary complaint.
Sepia (cuttlefish ink):
- In addition to being disgusted by the thought or smell of food, even your favorites, you will find your sexual desire went south, you will likely be constipated, and you may become weepy and cranky. If you want to eat anything at all, it may be pickles and vinegar!
- Will likely help you with the deathly, face-turns-green, kind of nausea that can occur either during pregnancy or motion sickness. You will feel much sicker if you move at all and better from cold, fresh air if you need Tabacum. As an interesting side note, some smokers find this medicine to be a stop-smoking aid if taken each time the craving for nicotine arises.
Veratrum album (white hellebore):
- This is a great remedy for intense morning sickness with violent vomiting and diarrhea along with a cold sweat, chills, and a feeling of being totally wiped out. Picture the miserable pregnant mom not knowing whether to sit on the toilet or lean over it to throw up! If you need Veratrum, you will have a strong desire for sour, juicy fruit, pickles, lemons, salt, and ice.
Homeopathy offers support in restoring our body’s balance, health, and vitality on mental, emotional, and physical levels. It’s important you seek professional advice from a qualified registered homeopath or your GP to ensure you are receiving the best possible treatment for all that you are experiencing.
Would you like to learn more about homeopathy so you can help your community, family, friends, and animals? The College of Natural Health & Homeopathy offers NZQA accredited Diplomas in Homeopathy.
Study fully online, part-time, and from the comfort of your own home, anywhere in the world! Start your journey today in becoming a Homeopathic Practitioner, and apply now in our NZ Diploma in Acute Prescribing with Homeopathy!
Adapted from source
By Dr. Judyth Reichenberg-Ullman and Dr. Robert Ullman