It’s officially the first day of spring here in New Zealand, and although we are waiting for the warmer weather to hit us, we can expect typical spring weather!
As we are experiencing lock-downs, we have been encouraged to spend time outdoors, for our mental and physical health, during this time of “shelter at home.” But for some people, spending time outdoors in the spring makes them miserable. Allergies from tree and grass pollen can create a variety of symptoms, some worse than others.
In homeopathy, we can support the symptoms of allergies during the worst season for you by simply matching a remedy to the symptoms you are currently experiencing. However, once the worst is over, it is best to seek constitutional care for your allergies. This is true for a couple of reasons. On the practical side, even if we are able to find a matching remedy, you likely would need a different remedy next year. This is so because of how homeopathy works–that is, the wrong remedy only works for a while. The right remedy works much longer.
The second reason for seeking care for your chronic condition is that it is the only way to get to the underlying reason for having the allergies in the first place. It provides a more permanent solution. It’s important to seek advice from your local fully qualified and registered Homeopath to ensure that you are receiving the best possible homeopathic support.
Remedies for Acute Care for Seasonal Allergies
Here are some homeopathic remedies that may help you with your seasonal allergies. Many of these are available in stores, but not all of them are. Contact your local Homeopath and dispensary for support.
(Allium Cepa is a homeopathic remedy made from Red Onions. You can think about the symptoms of onions, eyes watering, nose running, some sneezing, some burning.)
- Nose running with a very watery discharge, “like a faucet”, is how it is often described. It can cause redness on the skin under the nose.
- Watery eyes, that is generally pretty bland, and not the primary symptom of allergies.
- Violent sneezing, which propels mucus out of the nose.
- The nose is obstructed by swelling of the mucus membranes. You can literally see the swelling in some people.
- The symptoms could be left-sided or begin on the left side. That is, the left nostril or left eye is first to display symptoms.
- Headache, which is better when the nose is running freely, is worse if you suppress the nasal discharge with OTC medications.
- The nose feels totally obstructed, but thin, watery mucus is dripping from the nostrils, often only the right nostril.
- There are burning pains located in the throat, eyes and nose, which are better from warm drinks and applications. (Another example of what we call a Strange, Rare and Peculiar (SRP) symptom in homeopathy: Burning pains better from heat.)
- Sneezing in the morning on waking.
- Sneezing from tickling in one spot, as if someone were tickling you with a feather.
- Better: in a warm room or with warm drinks.
- Worse: Cold rooms, or inhaling cold air.
- You may also have sores in your nose.
(This remedy is commonly called Eyebright. With a name like that, you can imagine that the worse symptoms are going to be located in the eyes.)
- Eyes are inflamed, irritated, burning, itching.
- Eyes are very sensitive to light which can cause you to blink a lot.
- May awaken with eyes stuck shut because the discharges dry out at night.
- Bland nasal discharge, but painful, burning watery eyes. (This is the opposite of Allium Cepa, which has burning nasal discharge and bland tears. This is how you will likely distinguish between the two remedies.)
- Intense sneezing and watery discharge.
- Worse in the morning, and in the wind.
- Better lying down at night.
- Constant, tickly cough, which is better lying down at night, worse in the daytime. (This is an unusual symptom.)
- Post-Nasal Drip collects in the back of the throat at night causing coughing and retching in the morning.
Gelsemium is one of the top remedies for influenza, well known for its weakness, emotionally and physically. So it is no surprise that this symptom also shows up in seasonal allergies.
- Overwhelming tiredness and weakness during allergies season.
- Really warm discharge through the nose.
- Worse being overheated and in warm, humid weather.
- Exhausted from sneezing, which often shows up in the morning.
This remedy is homeopathic Sodium Chloride, which is often used to help with colds, allergies, and a variety of other dis-ease situations.
- Thick nasal discharge like raw egg white.
- Episodes of sneezing multiple times.
- The nose is obstructed, worse in the wind.
- Chapped lips and cracks in the corners of the mouth.
- Eyes are watery and worse from going outside, especially if it is windy.
- Irritability is a strong feature in Nux Vomica. You may feel like you have a hangover.
- Sneezing and nasal discharge on waking and rising in the morning.
- The nose runs during the daytime and is dry and obstructed at night. This is better in a warm room, when the nose begins to run again.
- Worse in the morning, upon waking, worse outside, and worse after eating (typical Nux Vomica symptom).
- Better from warm drinks and warm rooms.
- Children who need this will rub their noses with the palm of their hand. You should see a horizontal crease a little below the bridge of the nose.
Pulsatilla is well known as a children’s remedy, but can also be used for adults with allergy symptoms, where the symptoms match.
- Children, especially, will be clingy and whiney with allergy symptoms.
- Hay Fever in the Spring, or Summer or Fall.
- Watery discharge from the nose, which runs freely.
- Itching and watery eyes, better from cold applications.
- Worse: overheated by the sun, hot food, and pretty much anything to do with heat.
- Also worse in the open air, which is normally not true of Pulsatilla.
- Better in air conditioning.
If frequent sneezing is your worst symptom, start with Sabadilla.
- Runny nose and sneezing that is worse from cold and better from heat (drinks, food, air)
- Itching and tingling inside the nose, with little relief.
- Eyes are watery, the nose is obstructed.
- Watery eyes that are burning and red. Every sneeze causes your eyes to water.
- Worse from being outside, and flower pollen is especially bad.
- Better from warm drinks and a warm room.
- May have allergic asthma and a dry cough.
- Throat may be inflamed on the left side.
Allergies/Hay Fever which affects the eyes.
- Eyes feel full of sand. (This is also true with pink eye and Suphur)
- The rims of the eyelids are red and crusty.
- Nasal discharge that is sometimes thick and yellow and sometimes clear and smelly.
- Sulphur is almost always worse from heat, warm rooms, food, air.
- Spasms of sneezing, usually in the evening.
- Nasal obstruction, with some discharge, often on the right side.
- Extremely itchy palate in the mouth. Uses tongue to rub back and forth.
- Itching extends to the ears, often causing rubbing or boring into the ears.
- Dry mouth and throat. Frequent clearing of the throat.
Homeopathy offers support in restoring our body’s balance, health, and vitality on mental, emotional, and physical levels. It’s important you seek professional advice from a qualified registered homeopath or your GP to ensure you are receiving the best possible treatment for all that you are experiencing.
Would you like to learn more about homeopathy so you can help your community, family, friends, and animals? The College of Natural Health & Homeopathy offers NZQA accredited Diplomas in Homeopathy.
Study fully online, part-time, and from the comfort of your own home, anywhere in the world! Start your journey today in becoming a Homeopathic Practitioner, and apply now in our NZ Diploma in Acute Prescribing with Homeopathy!
Adapted from Source
Lotus Homeopathy, Inc.