The season is upon us for those classic winter flus, sore throats, fevers, and this means it is time for us to pull out our acute homeopathy kits or to book appointments with our local fully qualified homeopath for support! A sore throat may be the sign of a viral or bacterial infection, but just as commonly it results from a post nasal drip or simply from dryness of the throat.
General Home Support
Sore throats caused or aggravated by dryness are often relieved simply by reducing room heat, running a humidifier, and remembering to take frequent sips of the liquid. Gargling with warm salt water, lemon juice and honey in warm water, or diluted apple cider vinegar temporarily relieves sore throat pain. Throat lozenges may help too. Sucking on a 100 mg or 500 mg tablet of vitamin C may be soothing, but be careful not to irritate the tongue or throat. If you are being treated with homeopathic remedies, however, do not take lozenges containing menthol or eucalyptus, since these substances may interfere with the action of the homeopathic remedy.
Here are some common remedies to help support sore throats:
- During the first twenty-four hours when the pain has come on suddenly and is accompanied by fever and flushed skin
- Redness of the throat or tonsils, often with swelling, but no pus is present – Confirmatory symptoms
- “Strawberry’ appearance of the tongue as in scarlet fever
- Throat pain worse from swallowing, especially liquids
- A sensation of dryness in the throat
- Sore throat with body aches and fever
- Throat appears dark red or even purplish or bluish
- Pain worse from warm drinks – Confirmatory symptoms
- Pain shooting up to the ears during swallowing.
- Incessant desire to swallow
- Pain at the base of the tongue when protruded
- Pus or white/yellow material in the throat
- Excessive salivation, drooling – Confirmatory symptoms
- Sensitivity to both heat and cold
- Throat pain worse at night
- Swollen or puffy tongue, bad breath
- Sore throat worse on the right side or beginning on the right and spreading to the left
- Pain relieved by warm drinks and warm food – Confirmatory symptoms
- Feels worse in general in the late afternoon, between 4 and 8 P.M.
- Pain worse on the left side or spreading from left to right
- Pain worse from drinking liquids – Confirmatory symptoms
- Sore throat worse in the morning, especially on waking
- Throat sensitive to touch; clothing around the neck causes discomfort or choking sensation
- A person feels worse in general from the warmth
Hepar Sulph. Essentials
- Pus has formed and the throat and tonsils are very swollen.
- Chilly – Confirmatory symptoms
- A sensation of a splinter or something stuck in the throat
- Throat pain worse from cold and better from warm drinks and external warmth
- Chilliness, thirst, and restlessness combined with fatigue accompany the sore throat
- Throat pain relieved by warm drinks – Confirmatory symptoms
- Throat pain burning in character
- Pain worse from swallowing in general, cold drinks, or exposure to the cold
Rhus Tox. Essentials
- Throat pain better by warm drinks and warmth in general
- Restlessness – Confirmatory symptoms
- Symptoms begin after straining the voice or from cold, wet weather
- Thirsty for sips of water
- Dry mouth, dry sore throat
- Aches and pains while lying still; worse when first starting to move but get better with continued motion
- Stinging sore throat pain
- Marked swelling of the throat or tonsils – Confirmatory symptoms
- Throat pain better from cold drinks and worse from warm drinks and external heat
- Swollen parts of the throat appear as though filled with water
- Absence of thirst
- Lingering sore throats
- One or more of the following general symptoms: discomfort from warmth; general lethargy; and offensive breath, sweat, and discharges – Confirmatory symptoms
- Burning throat pain with dryness of the mucous membranes better from drinking warm liquids
- A sensation of a lump, splinter, or hair in the throat
Home support for mononucleosis is the same as for other sore throats or for flu. It is recommended that any vigorous activity be avoided since the spleen is vulnerable to rupture.
Homeopathy offers support in restoring our body’s balance, health, and vitality on mental, emotional, and physical levels. It’s important you seek professional advice from a qualified registered homeopath or your GP to ensure you are receiving the best possible treatment for all that you are experiencing.
Would you like to learn more about homeopathy so you can help your community, family, friends, and animals? The College of Natural Health & Homeopathy offers NZQA accredited Diplomas in Homeopathy.
Study fully online, part-time, and from the comfort of your own home, anywhere in the world! Start your journey today in becoming a Homeopathic Practitioner, and apply now in our NZ Diploma in Acute Prescribing with Homeopathy!
Adapted from Source
Homeopathic Family Medicine
Dana Ullman, M.P.H